Here are 5 keys to ensuring your diamonds shine brightly:
- Write a good book, have it edited, rewrite it, have it edited again...repeat...(and take these pieces of advice from Seth Godin to heart!)
- Use Review Blogs - Find a few in your chosen genre, then follow their submission requirements. Search for more review blogs, and repeat...
- Create your online Author Home - Blog, Website, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. see our Helpful Hints for details and free information. Be sure to be yourself, because your readers will want to engage with you and buy from you if they connect with you!
- Use Social Media regularly and authentically! Here are some tips to help you "Tweet as you Speak", and another for finding quality followers. A future post will talk about the difference between Facebook and Twitter, and your need to change your communication style when connecting through each.
- Participate in the social media of the publishing company(ies) you chose. Kindle Direct Publishing, pubit, iBooks, Smashwords, etc., all have their own facebook, twitter and publishing communities with which you can engage possible readers and author/publisher networks. Don't forget Goodreads - an amazing community of readers and authors through which you can personally offer your work for sale and connect with your audience.
As you can see, this will require a major time investment for any author wishing to take on Self Publishing of their work. But, as Seth Godin says, "Writing a book is a tremendous experience. It pays off intellectually." Let's just hope we can make it pay off monetarily at least a little bit!
Mary Kathryn Johnson
Author ~ Entrepreneur ~ Mom
Say Bump and Take a Left